Follow our Feed

Follow our Feed

Monday, April 11, 2011

Youth Rifle - Muzzle Up is Stupidity - Muzzle Down - Smartipidity - Action Open

On ward we roll through this vast life of ours.  I have got to say something about muzzle management.  You have taught your son's and daughters to point their guns UP when they carry them.  I am done with all the dad's who fight me when I re-train everyone to carry guns muzzle down.
 
Let's start simply because I can hear your arguments (which are stupid) brewing:
 
1.   Muzzle Management is defined as "managing the bad end of that bang stick you are holding".  As you all know, the bad end is where the bullets come out.
No new news here.
2.  Kids are short.  Youth rifles are traditionally two things that make them horrible as a weapon.  Short and light. 
3.  Anyhoo, if a short person is carrying a short weapon and it happens to be loaded AND YOU HAVE TRAINED THEM TO HOLD THE GUN MUZZLE UP you can get in a scary situation.   
4.  If the rifle accidentally goes off - you can take one under the jaw.  Because accidents happen.
 
Okay so seriously, you can see where the muzzle is pointing. (despite the fact he is two steps behind his dad and Paul played along nicely.   I took this stock photo to make a point).  THIS IS THE WRONG WAY TO MANAGE YOUR MUZZLE.

Tom_bday_ar_snake_gun_low_pigs
 
 
Here is the proper way to do it.  Gun is down, if it discharges the bullet may hit his dad's foot or friends foot or his own foot. 
God help us we don't want any accidents.  But I'd rather be shot in the leg than the jaw. 
 
0tom_bday_ar_snake_gun_low_pigs
 
Finally, I suggest any time, any where, any PERSON, moving with a gun, the gun should be unloaded, action open, muzzle down.  I know, they may jam the muzzle in the ground, they may trip and the gun falls on the ground, they may not get a crack shot off at a fleeting animal  - they may, they may, they may, blah, blah, blah.....I can clean the gun, there are more critters out there, safety first!!!!  In fact, it is my opinionated opinion you worry about your guns way too much.  If they drop it, with kids this will happen, or lay it down on the ground, or trip and stick it in the mud, clean the barrel and the gun. 
 
If you take one under the cheek, you won't be there to complain and whine about the gun getting dirty.  Should you have a $10,000 rifle you love more than your kids, then don't take it out shooting.
Guns are tools, kid are the future of the shooting sports and safety should always be the first thing!!!
 
Finally, next time you are watching military operations, or any person in the military actively carrying a weapon pay attention to the muzzle.  When you see those guys go through a door to clear a room - did I already say "please notice where the muzzle is pointing", they have to practice serious muzzle management to keep from shooting their teammates.  Weird how that makes sense huh?
 
If you disagree with anything I said here please comment or e-mail me.  I acknowledge I am not the smartest person in the world and your help to keep things safe and fun is appreciated.
 
If you agree with me and like my blog, click the RSS feed button and follow me.  I will be updating this blog with opinionated opinions, mostly about youth hunting and fishing, regularly.  If you have a future sportsman in the house - I can help you.  NO ONE covers youth hunting and fishing to the extent you will see here.
 
Small Boy with Laugh Lines
A.D.D. is AWESOME

No comments:

Post a Comment