Follow our Feed

Follow our Feed

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Youth Rifle - 30.06 Mods - 8 year old friendly

Your scribbler is the owner of two 30.06's and two boys.  Caleb, my older boy is shooting a 30.06 I modified using a mercury cylinder and Remington's FANTASTIC manged recoil ammunition.  He is very happy thank you.
My son Thomas killed his first deer at 5 1/2 with a .223 mentioned in earlier posts.  He now has three more deer and three big hogs to his credit...with the .223.  Like any boy, he wants to move up to "a gun like his brother has" and he knows I have a second 30.06......which creates a situation....so to speak.
Already knowing Managed Recoil is fantastic....see a theme?....and knowing Thomas is still pretty small, I decided to tame the beast by calling Hank Fleming, Gunsmith here in Austin for a muzzle brake.  That only took two weeks - the gun is in hand.


Yoga Mats are highly recommended for gun work
Well, the next thing - most 8 year olds lack adult length arms.  So, I took the old recoil pad off, pulled out the old craftsman saw and trimmed the stock one inch.  Yeah, In know, crazy.  But, hey, you can buy a stock later on.  I installed a standard issue Sims Recoil pad.  (Of note, if you cut off some of the stock, pre-drill the new screw holes, I cracked the toe of my "custom" stock...my high school wood shop teacher Mr. Burney would be yelling at me if he knew).

Handily, my older son Caleb was a bit ill for school earlier on this fine day.....it just happened to be a fine day to take this rifle to Best of the West Shooting Range just north of Austin.   When I mentioned "rifle range" he perked up and agreed to go through the hard work of sighting in his brothers gun. 

I took a couple shots to test the new rig's recoil.  It is at worst a soft .243.  No muzzle jump at all.  Just a smooth shove straight back.  NICE!
Caleb took over, we made a few adjustments at 50 yards.  Results were not bad!!!

This weekend, off to the ranch.  We'll button her up at 100 yards then a real life test on the local hog population.
Hang in for Updates! 

No comments:

Post a Comment