Follow our Feed

Follow our Feed

Monday, March 14, 2011

Youth Rifle 30.06 Ammo Test - Final Zero

Our final rifle test came with cool conditions and bright sunshine off the porch of the ranch house - "it doesn't get any better than this!"  Or so they say.  Starting off where we left off, (see report from March 10 for an explanation "why" this all began.) we had a quarter sized group at 50 yards.  Caleb shot that group and started the zero process, I figure he should finish it.  Boys gotta learn sometime.  First group - 100 yards away with the best ammo ever - MANAGED RECOIL! 

Not too bad for a 12 year old working zero.


Let's see how regular old 150 grain, off the shelf deer ammo matches up.  Just in case the day comes I run out of Managed Recoil.

The deal is sealed.

Looks like this old gun doesn't really care what you stuff down the pipe (please test drive yours to make sure results are the same but I bet they will be.) 
I ran the elevation down 3 clicks to center this group just above the bulls eye.  (I like my deer rifles sighted in 1" high at 100 - my grandfather taught me to do it that way........I do it that way.) 
Small boys, like me, think paper punching is boring.  So we pulled out some Tannerite to make sure she was on the button.  She was.
Final test, hog hunting.  Thomas and I took his 30.06 out in the field for two afternoon's but no hogs showed.   Caleb, our 30.06 final zero shooter, took the .223 to the front of the ranch and had the same results.  The hogs must have seen the groups he punched and got scared!

Maybe next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment