Follow our Feed

Follow our Feed

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Shotgun: Cheap Practice - BB - Gizmo - Glasses

Good Gosh Man - Wear Safety Glasses if you do this!
In my garage resides a box.  Today the box is fully in tact with a little, bitty, rubber gizmo I found in my tool box hanging in front of it.


The Box and Rubber Thingy await my arrival
The reason I have such a nice looking box is I just replaced it.  My last box looked like this.


No animals were harmed while practicing
 As you can tell, I actually practice.  Here's how it works:
1.  Stuff the box with a bunch of pieces of cardboard to stop BB's in the box.
2.  Take your handy red rider BB gun and grind the sights off.
3.  Place yourself 10-15 feet from box.
GOOD GOSH MAN PUT YOUR SAFETY GLASSES ON!!!!!!!!
4.  Shoot at your own selected little gizmo.
5.  Hit gizmo while only looking at the gizmo, don't aim.
6.  Since you can see the BB in flight and the impact point on the box, adjust hold as needed.
7.  Reflect on the days when you were a kid and thought sights were stupid.
8.  That's because sighting down the barrel of a shotgun is stupid.
9.  See, you brain cannot both look at the target and the sights at the same time.
10.  Make sure you have safety glasses, the gizmo will deflect BB's all over the place.
11.  Now you can practice your shotgun skills any time.
12.  It is particularly fun when you hit the little gizmo swinging. 
        TIP - when it is swinging, swing with it and follow through just like you're supposed to do in the field.


No Sights, "feel the shot grasshopper!"

I wish I was smart enough to have come up with this on my own.  However, this is a VERY compressed version of Leon Mesure's book Shoot Where You Look.  I'd suggest picking up a copy.  You follow the step by step instructions as offered up by Mr. Measures and you will hit a hand tossed BB with your BB gun.  I did it, you can too.

Nice thing, as Mr. Measures says, "if you can hit a BB with a BB you'll do okay with a 12 gauge."
Practice all the time so you will be ready when you get to go.

1 comment: