Follow our Feed

Follow our Feed

Friday, March 25, 2011

Youth Archery - Arrows - Simplicity - Pajamas

Super cool update - Traditional Bowhunter Magazine published one of my articles as a "Tip of the Week"
Here's the link: http://archive.aweber.com/tbmtotw/1Kx_I/h/TBM_Tip_Of_The_Week_Kids_.htm and, of course, you will want to subscribe.  TBM is the leading authority for the Traditional Archer.


Here's the article:

            So, back before I became all old, stodgy and set in my ways, I used to shoot any arrow that was close, any broad head, any time, any where.  I’d have spine differences of 20lb’s and five different broad heads in my quiver.  FOC be darned, I just wanted to shoot.  My longbow and I figured if it had a nock and a point we could shoot it.
            Interestingly, many critters succumbed to this strategy. 
            Then someone introduced me to real arrow tuning, matching points, arrow weight analysis to microns, and so forth.  It is really cool.  I can shoot a bare shaft as far as I want to.  Before I learned all these fancy tricks, I did the same thing.  The arrows went all sideways and such.
            Fast forward to stodgy and old about 7 years ago.  Two boys arrive under my roof by the standard means and they start shooting in diapers with the old plastic bow. (Why on Earth are most plastic bows yellow?)  Anyway, the plastic bows double as baseball bats and pry bars reducing their life expectancy.
            Being a bit psychotic I move up to light poundage bows built by Great Northern.  Immediate discussions ensue about pry bars and baseballs.  The boys love the bows and the bows love the boys.  It’s been 7 years and they haven’t died yet.  The abuse they have taken including rain and days left on the ground is amazing.
            Here’s the point of this scribble.  Let the young guys rip with whatever arrow you have.  Especially when they start out, just let them shoot.  Horrible arrow flight, you bet.  They don’t know it.  If they hit the target from 7 feet it might as well be 50 yards.  The day will come to match things up.  Or take this suggestion, piddle around with arrows, tuning over time.  They don’t need to know what you’re doing.
            Yet.
            There is plenty of time to get old, stodgy and set in your ways.  With kids, just Let ‘em Rip it.


No comments:

Post a Comment